The IP Range Ping Tool
Build 22.214.171.124 / 31.12.2017
Download PingT ZIP-compressed Software (468 KB): pingtarc.zip
What is PingT ?
Q: Is PingT just another Ping Tool ?
A: Yes / No
Why yes ?
- It uses ICMP (Internet Control and Message Protocol) to do the job.
Why not ?
- The author made it very comfortable to reach, find and trace the route
to a specific host, watch a list of hosts and scan a whole IP range.
PingT is developed for Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows NT4.0.
The functionality is given also in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10 with following restrictions:
1. To be able to view the help file "pingt.hlp" under Windows Vista and Windows 7 you need "winhlp32.exe" from Microsoft.
Please download here "winhlp32.exe" for Windows Vista.
2. Due to a PingT bug, the Router Alert option is disabled if you run PingT under Windows 7 or later operating system.
first of all download pingtarc.zip, then decompress it. Finally copy the 3 extracted files to a directory of your choice,
and just run pingt.exe.
Ping one single host
The single host ping feature of PingT is a classic, well known implementation of ICMP.
Ping a whole IP range
(In the shareware version, the IP range is limited to 100 hosts)
Pinging an IP range is also called Scanning a Network, because one host of the net tries to find out which other hosts are running (alive) in a specific IP subnet. Please, do not confuse with Scanning a Host, which means that one host in the net tries to find out which applications and/or services are running on another host. The last one is mostly considered as an attack to the scanned host (refer also to the Disclaimer). Some high security firewalls consider the Scanning of an IP range also as an attack to the firewall itself. This is the reason why PingT uses a limited ICMP requests per second. Please, use carefully this tool.
Run other programs
You can run Telnet or another program which you can choose from Connect progs: in the Ping tab sheet, by using one IP address as argument (optional further arguments), from the combo box of the Ping tab sheet. You can save the prog list only in the licensed version.
Trace the route to a destination host
Starting with the version 4.0 of PingT, traceroute is speeded up. Don't wonder about, just try it out.
Watch a list of hosts
Starting with the version 4.08 you can choose to set the ICMP sequence number into the sent data buffer. You can use this setting from the menu item Extras / Advanced Options... / Watch. With the ICMP sequence number you can follow an identify an echo request packet and the corresponding echo reply through the entire net.
Please refer to the downloaded file "pingt.hlp" for detailed information about watch host list.
What's new ?
If minor improvements are implemented, only the build number will be
increased, without any version number changes. To be sure that you have
the newest version and the newest build, please check the file version
of your "pingt.exe" file.
- Version 4.10.99, Build 126.96.36.199
- Version 4.09, Build 188.8.131.52
- Bug removed: Watch monitor not repainted after SysTray.
- Version 4.09, Build 184.108.40.206
- The status bar of the watch tab sheet was improved.
- The startup process of the watched addresses was improved.
- Version 4.09
- Autostart watch hosts.
- Check, uncheck and reverse menu items added to the context menu.
- Version 4.08
- Watch hosts. Set ICMP sequence number to the data buffer.
- Version 4.07
- Delay requests and data bytes limits changed.
- Version 4.06
- Watch hosts continuous name resolution.
- Version 4.05
- Minimize to system tray.
- Filter reached or not reached hosts while display range ping.
- Log immediate.
- Version 4.04
- Range ping with limited burst mode option.
- Version 4.03
- Status bar displayed information improved.
- Watch code optimized.
- Version 4.02
- "Log only reply changes" added.
- Version 4.01
- Bug removed: Watch list index out of range.
- Version 4.0
- Watch a list of hosts (graphical)
- Log the watched hosts (textual)
- Advanced options
- Fast traceroute
- Unlimited number of additional progs
- Version 3.2
- History list for the Ping destination hosts
- Version 3.1
- Telnet and Other Prog
- Save Settings
- Version 3.0
- Version 2.0
- Version 1.0
- Ping Tab Sheet. Prior to build 220.127.116.11 of PingT, under Windows 7 and later operating system
you will receive sometimes the error message "ICMP error 11050". This error message
is caused by a PingT bug in handling IP options.
Workaround: In the build 18.104.22.168, the "Router Alert" options (Extras / Advanced Options... / Ping)
- Watch Tab Sheet. Sporadically, single graph monitors are not drawn.
Workaround: Stop Watch and start again.
- Since the further development of PingT is stopped, you cannot get a new PingT license anymore.
Nevertheless, you can use any existent license which you bought earlier.
The author of PingT does not assume any liability for damages that may be caused by improper or irresponsible use of the program and make NO WARRANTY or representation, either express or implied, with respect to this software. This software is provided "AS-IS", and the user, assume the entire risk of using it.
Last document update: 31.12.2017